Contact TransportationPhone:(780) 624-3006
Toll Free: 1 (800) 816-4711
PRSD Transportation Information
Each day in our community, 78 School Bus Drivers transport approximately 3000 students 11,848 kms with a total service area of 12,378 square kilometers!
The Transportation Department, under the Management of John Przybylski and Transportation Manager David Rushton is located at 9530-90 Avenue, Peace River, AB. Transportation has repair and maintenance garages in Fairview, Manning and Peace River. We conduct bus driver training and safety programs with in-house trainers. The Department provides transportation to the public and separate schools within the Division boundaries. There are 117 Drivers, Mechanics, Support, Training and Managment staff employed with the Transportation department. For Transportation to run smoothly, everyone must work together; employees, parents and students. This site was designed to provide information and answer any questions you may have. Feel free to browse around, and remember, check for updates as we continue to build and add to our site.
Apply to join our team of professional school bus drivers! We are experiencing a shortage of spare school bus drivers in...
It’s School Bus Safety Week and this year’s theme is “Know Your Zone.” Students from kindergarten to grade...
Did You Know.....
84% of our drivers have been employed with PRSD for over 3 years
86% of our drivers are female
70% of our drivers value the flexible hours that come with driving school bus
94% of our drivers feel respected by Peace River School Division as their employer
TRAFFIC SAFETY - BACK TO SCHOOL
Drivers play a key role in back-to-school safety. Be alert and extra cautious in and around school zones and playgrounds as well as near school buses.
Young students should remember these safety tips:
- If you can't see the driver, the driver can't see you either.
- Be alert at intersections and always look for danger when crossing the street.
- Arrive early at your bus stop and stand back on the sidewalk until the bus stops.
- If you walk to school, learn and practice the safety rules for pedestrians. Cross at cross walks; obey all traffic signs, traffic lights and safety patrol instructions.
Back to school facts
- Nearly 50 per cent of the drivers involved in collisions with school buses committed an error. The most common error was following too closely.
- On average each year, approximately 238 children under 15 are killed or injured as pedestrians or cyclists (2010-2014).
- School buses in Alberta travel an estimated 450,000 kilometers a day - that’s more than 10 times around the earth!
- The penalty for failing to stop for a school bus with its alternating flashing red lights activated is $543 and six demerit points.
- 70 per cent of casualty collisions and nearly 90 per cent of property damage collisions involving a school bus occurred in urban areas.
Yield to pedestrians. Remember to yield to children/parents in crosswalks. When a pedestrian is in a crosswalk they have the right-of-way.
Do not drive while distracted. Always be alert of your surroundings.
Speed limits in school zones and playground zones: The speed limit in a school zone is 30 kilometer’s per hour unless otherwise posted. School zone times are in effect from 8am to 9:30am – 11:30am to 1:30pm – and 3 to 4:30pm; unless otherwise posted.
The speed limit in a playground zone is 30 kilometers per hour unless otherwise posted.
(Adams, Bruce. "Back to School is Septembers Traffic Safety Messaging." Message to Student Transportation Association of Alberta. 1 September 2016. E-mail.)